My latest Post.

This view,this beauty
A tear unbidden
Creeps into my eye.

My stay is short
But I shall return to this place
If only my life is long enough.

Such beauty
Gazing upon it
I hope my years are many.

Bokusui Wakayama.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Pet Peeves - Litter.



      





<--- What is this? 













                    And this --->




       
   If your reply was Umbrella or Parasol, or any of the other names given to describe these devices, I will reward you with 10-points. But, if your answer was Abandoned Umbrella, I will award you 5-bonus-points.
   So, where am I going with this? Well, umbrellas, like any other form of litter annoys me (and that's putting it very-mildly) to the point where it has become one of my "Pet Peeves", or "Pet Hates" (not to be confused with the British Heavy Metal Band). Excuse me while I drift-off the subject here a little, but check-out this survey on pet peeves.
   These have been abandoned because their owners have no further use for them (obviously), because of the state that they are in - knackered,broken, e.t.c. You will find them anywhere - hanging-on a fence (like the one in the photo on the right),on the footpath/walkway,on pedestrian footbridges,on the road (like the one in the photo on the left), at the bus-stop, at the rail-station.......the list goes on. I have seen an individual, who was carrying an umbrella, just throw it on the road when it broke in a gust of wind. I dread the aftermath of a storm or heavy rain. 
   But, do you know what is so amazing about this action? These guys have carried these devices, while in good working order, for as-long-as necessary - while walking, in the car, on the bus, on the subway, on the train - but, for some reason, when they no-longer work, they just can't carry them any-more.
   Now to get closer to the point of this post. Littering isn't just about the mess and it's eyesore, and who has to clean it up, it's about the effects on others - humans, animals, wildlife, birds, insects ++++++.
Take this abandoned scooter for instance (notice how it has been abandoned in front of a sign telling people not to dump their rubbish here. If you were to look down over the bank, you will see why the sign is there - fridges,microwaves,tyres ++++). The Battery Acid must be doing wonders for the Groundwater and those who consume it. But, if you think this is bad, what about the abandoned fridges. Check-out what they can do as they rot-away after being dumped over the side of a bank - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerants. Those of us from Downunder can tell you about the effects of Ozone Depletion.
   Oh-my-god this is getting depressing. Time to stop and sign-off but, before I do, I have two more points to make.
   1] I want to make it clear that this post is not aimed at any one country/community, in particular the one in which I reside in. This is a world wide issue, as you will see in point-2.
   2] Check this blog out "Abandoned umbrellas.
   Thank you for putting-up with my obsessing. I get the feeling this won't be the last post covering littering.

No comments:

Post a Comment