My latest Post.

This view,this beauty
A tear unbidden
Creeps into my eye.

My stay is short
But I shall return to this place
If only my life is long enough.

Such beauty
Gazing upon it
I hope my years are many.

Bokusui Wakayama.

Monday, February 25, 2019

Hisashiburidesu - continued.



   My cycling wasn't just limited to exploring new areas and paths. Inbetween these marathon rides, I would incorporate a shorter outing as part of my rehabilitation, for example - 


                                                                                                                                                                                                        'Tiki-Tour around Kyoto', where the first snowfall of the season appeared on (Mt)Atago-san and other hills surrounding the western suburbs of the city.



   This trip - 'Ride through Yamashiro, Wazuka, Kamo & Kizu Towns' - took me to the eastern reaches of Kyoto Prefecture, and tea-growing country. This is one of my most favorite areas as there is always a new track to check-out and a surprise around every corner.




End of the road.
   
   Now this ride - 'Off-road cycling through Ujitawara Town' - didn't go as planned. It had been some time since I last did a butt-gusting, mountain-biking, getting dirty bike-ride, and I was keen to rectify that. And this area is the ideal location for just that. But, what I didn't take into account, was the residue left behind from the massive storm of the previous August. So, when I reached this wall of fallen trees blocking my path, I realized I was pushing the proverbial uphill and a u-turn was the result. 




   Then there are those relaxing outings with my wife, where we would make our way to a chosen eating establishment, and chill-out over a nice lunch. And, if we had the energy, finish-up at our local Starbucks.

   With the arrival of the New-Year, I set myself a goal for 2019. That was to complete 150-outings over the following 52-weeks. That is based on three rides per week. With us already 8-weeks into 2019, I have already logged-up 31-rides. During 2018 I discovered this interesting website - 'Love to Ride' - that is designed to encourage people to ride bikes; with this site my 'Strava' rides are automatically logged onto my L.t.R. page. It's important that I don't turn this into an obsession, and stick to my purpose for riding a bike - health, enjoyment, appreciation.





















   A few weeks ago I discovered an area to the east of Kyoto City - Fushimi-ku, Higashiyama-ku and Yamashina-ku. I have spent many hours cycling through these wards, but never payed much attention to what actually lies hidden amid the forested hills that overlook this part of the city. But that was about to change.

To be continued . . . .
   

No comments:

Post a Comment