My latest Post.

This view,this beauty
A tear unbidden
Creeps into my eye.

My stay is short
But I shall return to this place
If only my life is long enough.

Such beauty
Gazing upon it
I hope my years are many.

Bokusui Wakayama.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Hisashiburidesu - long time no see.


   It's amazing how fast six months can pass. That's about how long it has been since my last post. I had almost forgotten I had a blog. It was just after my last posts on the Shrines & Temples and Tombs & Kofun of Kyotanabe that I began to experience a discomfort in my left knee. A visit to the doctor revealed that I had damaged the cartilage; I had dreaded this moment for many years, where I reached a point where I could no longer enjoy the great outdoors. But the news wasn't all bad. I needed to take-a-break from hiking while the tissue healed, but cycling was okay. Phew.


   So I decided to use my down-time to explore new areas and sights. To start-off with, I honed my sights on the rural areas of Takatsuki & Ibaraki Cities. As these would be 'Tiki Tour' rides, I would be in tourist mode, so anything that attracted my attention, I would stop and check-out. The area I was about to explore had recently been devastated by one of the worst typhoons in history and, to this day, five months on, evidence is still to been seen. As I made my way up route-6 to the settlement of Tano, what was once dense forest, was now littered with fallen trees.
   My first stop was at Koumei-ji Temple & Shrine (map location),  where I briefly visited some years ago. On this time around I decided to take a more thorough look. And I am so glad I did. I was overwhelmed by what I was to discover.





   The surrounding dense forest and moss-covered ground added an atmosphere of beauty to the complex, especially with the sun trying it's best to break through the canopy. The site covered quite a large area and consisted of a temple, main shrine, small sub-shrines and waterfall.





   


                                                                                                                                               
   From Koumei-ji I made my way to Ibaraki, passing-through rural scenery I enjoy so much. In some places the rice fields were reaching their peak before being harvested, in other places the harvest was already underway. 


Takakura-jinja (map location).
My next stop was at Takakura-jinja, where I was afforded a fine view down a valley which would take me back through Takatsuki City and on home. But, before I proceeded, I needed to find a place where I could take a lunch-break, preferably somewhere in the sun.
   88km and 5.5-hours after leaving home, I returned in high spirits. Not only had I experienced some great scenery, my knee didn't give me any problems. 
   Course map & details - https://www.strava.com/activities/1899247594 

                                                                                                                                                                   Two weeks later I returned to the area in search of Emma and M's Cafes. Emma Coffee, in the settlement of Toyono (map location), is a popular destination by members of the Osaka cycling community.

   But on this day, of all days, I was greeted by this sign, and locked door telling me it was closed on Thursdays. Just my luck. Anyway, I couldn't complain, I did manage to experience some more great scenery on my way here. And I still had M's Cafe on my list.
   Not wanting to backtrack to the settlement of Sendaiji (map location) via the same route, I took a more circular course that bordered Kameoka & Takatsuki Cities. 

Tenmangu-jinja (map location)
   
   I arrived at the settlement in glorious sunshine and, as it had been some hours since I had had anything to eat, I searched for a spot where I could take-in the views and devour my lunch. And the steps to Tenmangu-jinja was that ideal location.

   And this was my view - 



   A week earlier and these fields would have been full of the new seasons rice which, believe-me, is a sight to behold. On a more sadder note, to the right of this image is the recently opened 'Shin-Meishin Expressway', that was carved through, what would have been, a very picturesque settlement. The price we pay for progress.

   Lunch over, and it was time to move-on. 'M's Cafe' was just around the corner - less than a minute to be exact - and the possibility of enjoying a nice coffee, while sitting on a deckchair. But this just wasn't my day - the cafe is only open on weekends. After checking-out the facilities, I headed home with my tail between my legs with the determination to re-visit these establishments. That's when they were open. Course map & details - https://www.strava.com/activities/1925857965 

Map Location
     Nine days later I would return to the area again, this time via route-208 past Nishiyama Yoshiminedera Temple, at the base of (Mt)Ponponyama, and onto route-733, at the summit of the Osaka-toge Pass.




   Again it was another brilliant fine day, with a November chill in the air, perfect for what I had in mind. My plan was to return to 'M's Cafe', (hopefully) have a coffee, and move-onto the Ai River cycle/walkway through Takatsuki and onto the Yodo River. Trying my best to charter new territory. 

Map Location.
   Route-208 to Yoshiminedera Temple is a gradual climb requiring the use of all twenty-seven gears on my bike, but the track to the base of Ponponyama required me to walk. From the plateau through to the Osaka-toge pass, and through to the settlement of Tano, is rural Japanese scenery at it's very best. Passing through Tano, and onto route-733, I encountered this collection of used rail carriages, and what looked like an art/nick-nack center. Before long I was crossing the border of Takatsuki and entering rural Ibaraki City with the thought of a nice hot coffee firmly in my mind.


   But again it wasn't to be. It could have been, if I was prepared to wait an hour for the cafe to open but, as I was eager to press on, I did just that. Another track, passing the cafe entrance, looked promising, so I took it and, to my annoyance, it ended at a rice field. Dejected, I u-turned and discovered this bench, and time for a bite-to-eat.

   From here I made a beeline for the Ai River. I like these cycleways as they avoid the very many and annoying traffic lights; the stop/start action burns more energy that the uninterrupted course along the river. 
   Fifteen kilometers on and the Ai River merges with the Kanzaki River, which merges with the Yodo River 2km away. From here it is a nice one-hour ride home, and a nice hot shower. But I wasn't finished with this area yet. 
   Course map & details - https://www.strava.com/activities/1942360412  

  
    Out of the previous three ventures into this area, this trip would be the longest, albeit by about 1-km. 'Four rivers and an Airport', the title of this outing, would take me along four rivers - the Yodo, the Kanzaki, the Ina and Mo rivers - and would also include checking-out the runway at Itami Airport and a small train park. 
   As with trips like this, I like to take many photos, which I did but, for some reason, all but one have been deleted from my computer. So, to avoid boring you with all my usual chit-chat, instead I shall just have to attach a link to my 'Strava' page, and the course map & details - https://www.strava.com/activities/1990458547 

To be continued . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment