My latest Post.

This view,this beauty
A tear unbidden
Creeps into my eye.

My stay is short
But I shall return to this place
If only my life is long enough.

Such beauty
Gazing upon it
I hope my years are many.

Bokusui Wakayama.

Friday, April 12, 2019

Nishigamo, Kyoto City - the return.


Map location.
     In my previous post in this series - 'Nishigamo, Kyoto City' - I mentioned a second track I planned to explore but, because of the exhilaration I felt at the end of the first track,and the detour I took, I never got to carry-out my plan. So, this is that said track. On this occasion, all going well, I would emerge again at the Himuro-michi Road, then head for the Kyomi-toge pass and then take another track and emerge at the Funayama Golf Course. The inspiration for this track, again, came from one of my 'Strava' connections.
   The start of this track was just a few-hundred meters along the road from the previous one. Upon commencing my course, I had an uneasy feeling I was on the wrong path. Across the stream from where I stopped, I could see another track. So I u-turned and went in search of the intended path. No problem, it was just a few meters away. This path was very narrow, unlike the first, which looked like a vehicular track, so I needed to take extreme care as there was a steep drop into a stream a couple-of-meters below. As can be seen in the image on the left.


   Now, I don't know about you, but I am a firm believer in 'Murphy's Law'. A hundred meters in, or thereabouts, I came to this stream crossing that emerged onto, yes, the original track. Now, if I stayed on that earlier track, I would have got lost. The track from this point became a matter of life-and-death and, when I look back at the terrain, I was quite foolish to have attempted this on my own. On two occasions I had to lug my bike down a steep bank, cross a stream, then lug it back up the other side. With my foothold very insecure.










                                                                                                                              The above two images give you an idea of the terrain I had to endure. I appreciate the fact I have to, at times, push myself to achieve my goal, but I feel this was the limit I would go. If I was to have an accident and become incapacitated, trying to explain to the emergency services where exactly I was, would be near to impossible.


    As I turned to resume my journey, I was greeted by this sight. Views like this confirm my love & appreciation for the outdoors, and I stood here for a minute-or-two to take-in my surroundings. Just along from where this photo was taken was a collection of buildings inside a fenced-off area that resembled a lumber yard. The previous time I was in this area I remember seeing these buildings, but from a height, and I knew I was nearing the junction. And, a few-hundred meters further on, I was back in familiar territory. As I knew the terrain I was to expect, I slowed-down my pace a notch and quietly proceeded.

     I soon arrived at another junction, when I discovered this tree, with a sign nailed to it giving directions. Referring to my map I wasn't able to determine exactly where the other track led to. Not to worry, this was one course I wasn't going to deviate from. And so I moved-on.
   The Himura-michi Road wasn't far away, and I am soon back onto a sealed surface, albeit not for long. This section of the road, through to route-31, is in two parts. First there is a steep ascent, followed by a steep descent. At the junction I meet-up with a road cyclists; this area is very popular with cyclists, due to it's proximity to the city and the terrain is ideal for training.


Map location.


     Before I knew it I have arrived at the plateau of the Kyomi-toge Pass. It is at this location I take another track and descend to the Funayama Golf Course. Searching around I discover this track but,before heading-off, I look around some more, in case this is a different track from the one I am suppose to take. I find nothing, so I decide to move on. The first hundred meters were quite steep and I soon begun to worry; was I going to have to abort? Thankfully my track leveled-out and became quite ride-able. I was still in dense forest, which was a pity, as the views would have been magnificent. By now it was getting hot.


Map location.


    I soon arrive at a junction where three tracks converge. As there was no signpost giving directions, I take the logical step and proceed ahead. Not far away from this junction is this collection of Jizo. There are six located here which, some may refer to as 'Rokujizo' (Roku = six). It always amazes me when I discover these is such an isolated place. But it's not uncommon.


   Just down from the statues, another junction. Four tracks converge here and, on this occasion, there is a signpost. Consulting my map, I discover I am quite some distance away from my intended track. So, what do I do? I discard the two tracks behind me. The one in front takes me to (Mt)Funayama, which is where I don't want to go. So I turn to my right and head-off, I hope, to connect with my planned track. What I was about to encounter was hell. There had been very little clearing done since the storm of August and, the best way to describe it, was that it resembled an obstacle course designed to train Marines.


Map location.
   But I persevered, more out of pigheadedness; the idea of ascending back through that obstacle course would be too much to cope with. Just as I was questioning myself, regarding my sanity, or insanity, I arrived here - Akiba-jinja Shrine. I now knew exactly where I was, and I yelled a whoop-of-relief. The site has seen better days, but I didn't care.


    
 
      I leaned my bike up against the Torii and headed-up the concrete steps for a look around. The complex was well-and-truly overgrown with vines and fallen branches, but, looking closely, judging by the vase of flowers, someone had recently been here. What impressed me the most was the serenity, considering we were only a stones-throw from the hustle-and-bustle of Kyoto City.
   Remounting my bike I proceeded. From here my path took me through the golf course - ducking my head - where I emerged into familiar surroundings; only recently I had been in this area cycling a section of the 'Tokaido Road'. From here I make a beeline to the Kamogawa River, and on home.
    With all the research I did, I can't believe that I missed my turn-off , and it has annoyed me. So needless-to-say I am planning a return, this time heading to Akiba-jinja, and taking the track from there. While in the area, if I have time, I will check-out a couple of Shrines & Temples. But that's another post.

Course details & map - https://www.strava.com/activities/2226125900


So, until next time - 

Sayonara.


                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment