My latest Post.

This view,this beauty
A tear unbidden
Creeps into my eye.

My stay is short
But I shall return to this place
If only my life is long enough.

Such beauty
Gazing upon it
I hope my years are many.

Bokusui Wakayama.

Monday, April 1, 2019

Nishigamo, Kyoto City.





   In the western suburbs of Kyoto City, is an area known as Nishigmo. There isn't much in this area that attracts the tourists, unlike other parts of the city, but, once a year, on the evening of August 16th, all eyes are turned to (Mt)Funayama, and what is known as 'Gozan no Okuribi'. This is a festival where five giant bonfires are lit on mountains surrounding the city. As one who has experienced this event, it is a sight-to-behold.

   This area was brought to my attention by a fellow outdoorholic, who I am connected to through our 'Strava' pages. Looking at a particular trip he had done, I became interested in what lay within the hills of Nishigamo. And so I decided to do some exploring of my own.


 'Exploring the Hills of Nishigamo'

   This was to be my first venture into the area. I had the choice of two tracks, both converging within a kilometer of the road, so I decided to take one through to the Himuro-michi Road, then u-turn and return via the second. I needed to be prepared to abort my trip at any stage, as I was conscience that there still may be remnants of 'Typhoon Jebi' obstructing my way. I had no problem in finding the track, and, upon arrival, I set-off. The first few-hundred meters the surface was concreted, which was nice, but then it turned into a muddy track, which one would expect of this type of terrain. With Kyoto City, and it's environs at my back, I was quite overwhelmed with how quickly my surroundings had changed. And peaceful too.


   About one-kilometer in, and I arrived at this junction. This was my second track and, all going well, I would return here in the not too distant future. But,before I moved-on, I did a quick check that this was where I thought I was. The reason for that, is that the track from this point changed dramatically.


   Gone was the soft undergrowth of fallen leaves & pine-needles, and wide open track. From this point on it would be rocky, rutted-out, tree-weaving and, for most parts, I had to walk and, at times, carry my bike. But I didn't mind. The surrounding scenery was worth the inconvenience. 



     I was surprised how little evidence there was of the storm of last August. I would have expected more obstructions. Not that I was complaining. In some sections I was able to mount my bike and cruise-along at a leisurely pace plus, as I was doing good time, stop and take a couple of photos. I noticed, as I made my way, several tracks branching-off the one I was taking. Taking note of these, I would research their destination upon returning home, in case there was the possibility of me returning here.


Map location.
                                                                                                                                                                          Then suddenly I emerged out into open space, and familiar territory. I had arrived at the junction with the Himuro-michi Road. Familiar, because I have traversed this road several times of the years as I hiked the 'Kyoto Trail'; an 80km trail that partly circumnavigates Kyoto City. I am feeling very exhilarated and, during a short break, I decide to change my plans and head for the settlement of Himuro, and link with the Kyoto Trail.


   My memories of this track are of a steep, narrow & windy descent and I prepare myself to the inevitability of having to carry my bike for the most part. But, what I did forget to take-into account, was the possibility of storm damage still in evidence. In some places the track took a detour, where I had to lug my bike up a hill, scramble under-&-over  fallen trees, before returning to the course proper.
Map location.

   There were some moments when my surroundings were very beautiful, like this bridge. It was while preparing to take this photo a group of elderly-women hikers appeared, and their surprise to seeing a lone cyclists in such an isolated location, brought-on rounds of giggles and chattering.


   For this 3km section of track, I think I only managed to cycle a combined distance of 100-meters, if that. So, when I emerged at route-61 (map location), I was somewhat relieved that I was able to re-mount my bike and move on at a better pace. Like my arrival at the junction with the Himuro-michi Road, I was still feeling great. So I made another change. I would take routes -38 & 40 through the settlement of Shizuhara to Ohara and from there back into Kyoto City and home.
   Six-and-a-half hours, and 92km later, I arrived home, somewhat saddened that the day had come to an end. It had been a awesome bike-ride and, as a 65-year old, I was very proud of myself. But I wasn't finished with the hills of Nishigama. That second track, the one I didn't explore, played on my mind over the following days, so I made the decision to return, and, while doing so, check-out another track in the area. Again, courtesy of my 'Strava' connection. But that's another post.

Course details & map - https://www.strava.com/activities/2212101579


So, until next time - 

Sayonara.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment